Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Maple Glazed Bacon Donuts at the Nickel Diner in L.A.

I love bacon! I choose bacon over sausage anytime I have a choice to make. My earliest memories of bacon are breakfast on school days and weekend mornings when my Dad cooked breakfast. I really love bacon. So when I heard that Maple Glazed Bacon Donuts were a popular item at the 5 Cent Diner in Los Angeles I knew I must check out these donuts. They were really calling my name.  The bacon beckoned.  

My dear husband, Rex, who tries to please my every whim, and our friends, David and Christy  and I ventured out to the Nickel Diner at 524 S. Main St. in downtown Los Angeles. 


The name of the restaurant is a reference to its location on Main St. south of 5th St. This area in downtown Los Angeles centered around 5th St. is also known as Skid Row or The Nickel.  In recent years, work with missions, LAPD and the Mayor's office, have changed the environment. The morning we were there, all was clean, calm and non-threatening.  I understand that lunch crowds form lines outside the door and waiting lists can be 45 minutes long. People love the whole menu which includes breakfast, lunch and dinner. 

Inside the restaurant I was tickled to see this writing above the front door.


The diner is a casual 1940's style. It has no TV, WiFi or alcohol. There are tall ceilings and upside down floor lamps hanging on the ceiling provide the lighting. Red padded booth seats line the wall side of the tables with wooden comfy chairs on the other side. Red and yellow striped columns add to the colorful atmosphere. Music plays and the chatter of diners fills the area.

In October, 2009, Food Network's Guy Fieri paid a visit to the 5 Cent Diner on his show Diners, Drive-ins and Dives.  He checked out a variety of foods, ending his visit with the maple glazed bacon donuts. With this kind of attention, I'd say this donut is famous! 

Since the four of us were there for a real breakfast beyond donuts, we decided to split one of these  massive, loaded donuts among us. After eating our own shares we agreed that eating a whole donut would have been way more than we needed. The donuts are made fresh, dipped in maple syrup frosting and then rolled in crispy bacon. Yum, wish I had one for breakfast tomorrow!





Maple glazed bacon donuts, anyone? 
















6 comments: